Wanted: 2nd Chef to join our award winning team
Purpose of the role
To assist and deputise with the Head Chef in providing, managing and developing a high quality catering service to residents, guests and visitors to the home. To operate a safe, professional and cost effective catering service within the company operational standards and complying with all statutory requirements.
Key responsibilities of the role
- Assist in the creation of nutritious, well balanced menus, which reflect the Lexicon Healthcare goals of using fresh, high quality, seasonal produce that is organically produced in the local area. The menus will meet all dietary requirements within the company guidelines and in consultation with residents, relatives and nursing staff.
- Assist in the preparation, cooking and attractive presentation of all meals. The majority of dishes will be made in house and home baked products should be available daily for residents and visitors to the home.
- Check the layout of the dining room ensuring a welcoming atmosphere with fully laid tables. Check the food delivery and presentation to residents and visitors and if required the delivery of meal trays to residents and the timely collection of meal trays.
- Be aware of and work with the Head Chef to ensure that the food budget is adhered to. Assist in the ordering of supplies, using nominated and approved suppliers.
- When acting as duty chef, visit dining areas and residents in their rooms weekly, talk to residents and ensure that feedback is considered and make changes accordingly.
- Ensure a high standard of cleanliness is maintained within the kitchen at all times.
- Keep stock secure at all times, store appropriately, avoid unnecessary wastage and deterioration of foodstuffs.
- Assist in the training of staff to a level expected of their role, in food handling, use all equipment, food storage, personal hygiene, and food preparation serving and keeping the required company records.
- Ensure equipment is used appropriately and its designed use. Report any equipment defects and withdraw from use immediately.
- Comply with company policy in terms of Food Safety and Health and Safety, completing and storing all records outlined in the Assured Safe Catering policy.
- Maintain and implement company procedures and processes as appropriate.
This job description indicates the main duties and responsibilities of the post. It is not intended as a complete list and may be subject to review periodically.
Key responsibilities within Lexicon Healthcare
At Lexicon Healthcare, we aim to provide the very best possible standard of care at all times, and as a member of the team, you will be an essential part of ensuring we exceed this commitment.
- Abide by and uphold the Lexicon Healthcare Philosophy of Care at all times.
- Show courtesy and respect to all residents, their relatives and maintain their right to confidentiality at all times.
- Greet all visitors to Green Tree Court in a friendly, courteous and efficient manner.
- Attend training sessions, staff meetings and resident meetings as required.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with all members of the team.
- Be aware of and comply with all Lexicon Healthcare company policies.
The above list is not exhaustive, and you may be required to undertake additional tasks from time to time.
Person specification for 2nd Chef:
- Hold the following certificates: City and Guilds 706/1 – Basic Cooking.
- City and Guilds 706/2 – Advanced Cooking
- Basic Food Hygiene Certificate NVQ Level 1, 2 or 3.
- Hold the Royal Society of Health and Hygiene Certificate.
- At least two years catering experience in a high standard restaurant.
- At least two years catering experience, ideally with customers who require special dietary requirements.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety in the workplace.
- Creating nutritious well balanced and attractive menus.
- Motivating and leading a team of staff.
- Budgeting and control of purchasing.
- Working well within a team.
- Understanding of the principles of HACCP.
- Experience of deputising in the absence of the Head Chef/ Catering Manager
- Experience of training and supervising staff.
This role pays £12.51/ph and the rota works on shifts 4 days on 3 days of per week.